Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 44 ~ Saturday the 15th

15. August ~ Saturday!

Today was quite a lazy day! I slept in really late, 11:30! I could hear babushka (grandmother) in the kitchen cooking so I figured I should get up. She was making pelmeni and noodles for later. We sat together while I ate. She asked me about my family, did I have any siblings. She asked me about mom and dad and then what I was doing later today. It was very nice!

She also gave me a small wooden plaque thing with an icon of a Saint on it, Alexandra. I thought it was a very nice and thoughtful gift! After we ate she finished preparing food to leave for me and then she left.

I decided to work on some homework, my final reflection about the internship. That didn’t take me long and then I figured I better see what’s going on the rest of the day. Plan was to go to the circus at 5.

I was supposed to go the circus today with the group so I called Francesca, and then Stas to figure out where we were meeting. Stas told me to take bus 19 to the stop right before the Kremlin. When I got outside it was all gray and dark and it was raining. It had been pretty dreary all day. I waited for bus 19 across the street, never came, I thought maybe it doesn’t come here. I saw a 19 come at the stop directly in front of my building, so I went to that bus, got on 19. Well, it certainly took me to the outskirts of the city, I had to get off, and then it took it’s 10 minute break. It was still raining and quite cold. I wasn’t too thrilled. I got back on 19 when it came around and then eventually ended up back in the center of the city by the Kremlin.

I didn’t really know what to do so I went and checked my email just for something to do. I called Francesca to see what was up and she was at home. I don’t know where Steve and Adrian went, and I wonder if they made it to the circus at all either. I don’t really mind that I didn’t go to the circus, oh well.

When I got done checking my email the sky was clearing up and the sun was coming out. I walked around a little bit before deciding to just come back home. So, that’s where I’ve been. It’s really quiet being here all by myself. The weather today really made me not want to do much but lay around. It’s weird that in three days now I will be on my way home!
I decided to finish the book I was reading, it had a nice ending, I really liked it! From there I decided to just watch some movies that I had with me. I like knowing that I used everything I brought with me at least once, so I don’t feel like I bought it for nothing. I decided to watch some of my favorite movies, Elizabethtown and Little Miss Sunshine! I realized that these two movies have a lot of parallels, and overall they were some good movies to have brought along!
In between watching my movies I heard some fireworks, I quick got my camera and went the balcony but once I got out there they were ending.

What I did get to catch was cool, and then I decided to just stand on the balcony for a few minutes, look down at the street below and take in the fresh air and surroundings! To think, I’ve spent 6 weeks here, it’s crazy.

Tomorrow I think I am going to just spend the day hanging around and start packing my things and maybe start working on my project about food that I have to hand into Liza when I get back home! I will probably go to the hotel near the school one last time to use their internet, and have some tea! We’ll see!

Oh.. One thing, while I was waiting for the bus I saw a really old lady with purple hair! It was quite amusing. Last night on my way home I noticed a car that had a plate that said I <3 my American Car. I chuckled, the car didn’t look American, but we drove by it fast so I don’t know what kind of car it was. Another thing, under a lot of the signals there is a timer that counts down how many seconds until it turns green or red. I think that’s a pretty neat idea! I don’t know if they have that in America or not.

It’s been a good night, now it’s 1 am and I should go to bed, yay for going to sleep to the sounds the traffic below and the breeze coming into my window!
Love, Sasha!

1 comments:

Kevi said...

It is nice babushka comes back to Olga's to check up on you and cook food for you! She sounds nice :)

It is too bad you missed the circus because I kind of wonder what the circus in Russia is like compared to ones here. Oh well, in terms of all the things you could have missed, that is probably one of the best things to have missed, so it isn't a big deal.

Just a quick question, but are fireworks illegal to shoot off in Russia like they are here? I was just wondering since you mentioned them.

Wow, that is random about that old lady with purple hair. I would have thought that would be like really disrespectful or something? Haha and that is also funny about that I <3 my American Car =P

Umm and I am pretty sure there are timers for our signals, but they just aren't shown to the drivers, probably because they figure drivers will try and go as soon as the light is going to turn green, but then if people are running a yellow that is turning red, they could get hit, you know? Yeah, but there must be timers and stuff in the boxes, but it also depends on the intersection, I could explain it to you sometime.

Post a Comment