Thursday, August 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home: A Recap of Last Days

So everyone, I have made it home safe and sound. The whole journey home took 25 hours, and I was up for about 31 hours. Being home is very strange, and most things feel different. I now understand the whole idea behind every time you come home it's never the same because of the experiences you've had while absent. It's soo apparent.

I won't lie and say that I've been really sad and I miss Russia a lot, it's a feeling of emptiness.

My trip home from JFK was certainly an interesting one. After sitting in the airport about 3 hours we boarded the plane on time, 9:10pm. But then we ended up sitting in the plane for two and a half hours, didn't leave until 11:20-ish. NYC had really bad thunderstorms and all the planes were late getting off the runway, 561 lightning strikes in one hour! At one point we were number 36 for takeoff. I was soo exhausted that I just closed my eyes. There were two really fun flight attendants who made the wait entertaining. At some points we could look out the windows and see the crazy lightning all around us, kind of cool.

Oh another thing, when we arrived in Helsinki, the plane didn't come up to a terminal so we had to get off and walk to a bus and then get driven to the terminal. In that short amount of time I got to walk in Norway, and I got rained on too, I was quite excited!

Anyways, I finally arrived, it was nice to see my parents again, and my cat..

My last morning with Olga was really good too, as good as it could have been. I got up at 5:15am and got ready, took a shower. Olga was making breakfast, my favorite, Blini-ish stuff filled with the vegetables. I've had it before, she makes it for me a lot. I had my last cup of tea, and got my stuff and we walked out the door.

It was sad, we didn't really know what to say. The bus finally came to pick me up, Olga helped pack my stuff and gave me a hug. She waved to me through the window until I couldn't see her anymore and I could tell she was crying.

The bus pulled away and I started crying too. I hate goodbyes. I am going to miss so much. Since I've been home I see everything around me and compare it to Russia in my mind. I cried again when the plane left Russia, and right before I landed in NYC.

Oh well. I think that there will always be a feeling of emptiness and longing to go back. What I miss the most is just the culture in general, it fits my personality so well, I felt so at home there.

Oh well. So, from here I am getting ready for school, lots of small things to do here and there, organize my room, develop pictures, make projects, visit people and talk about my trip! So much stuff before school starts, i don't feel I have enough time.

The weather is muggy and hot, so I already miss Russia weather, the food, and the quiet. I certainly didn't miss the constant stimulus of Mass Media, or the television in general. I should buy some earplugs. I just miss Russia. I want it back. I plan on making a wall of photos in my room! Fun fun!

I drink lot's of tea, it's not the same, but it's an attempt to keep part of Russia with me!

I want to end by saying thank you to everyone who has followed this journey with me and spent time reading this! Furthermore, thanks to my parents for giving me this opportunity, Liza for all of her work, and my fellow freinds on the trip for great times.

Last but not least, thank you dearest Russia, you're beautiful.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

So long, Love,
~Sasha

PS - Picture Link: Russia ~ The Final Days

1 comments:

Kevi said...

Aww, last post, this is making me sad! I have had such a great time reading about your trip to Russia, it is bittersweet for me now reading the last post, but here goes...

I don't blame you at all for missing Russia. I know I would too if I was in your shoes (but sadly they are too small for me =\). It just goes to show that you have had a great experience there. I hope that I can help you feel a little bit better though, I will try in every way I can, just let me know :)

Wow, that is a crazy number of lightning strikes! That is around one and a half strikes per second, jeesh! I am glad you made it safe after all of that, I am sure it was scary :(

Aww that is so sad about you leaving Olga! It makes me want to cry too :(. She is such a sweet person and you can tell that in everything you say about her! I hope that you two will be able to stay in touch via email. Sadly that is the best you can do, but I think it would be nice just to stay in touch.

Sometime when I am over, I should try a sip of your tea. I don't think I will like it, but I want to give it a try regardless.

In response to what you said, I in turn want to thank you for taking the time to make all these wonderful posts and for taking all of the pictures that you took! It has been really nice following your journey and getting a little glimpse of your time there. I know personally it made the whole thing a lot easier for me because I almost felt like I was there with you in a way when I was reading and looking at everything! So thank you for taking the time to do that!

I love you very much!

Post a Comment