Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 8 ~

10. July ~ Friday

Finally, no school tomorrow, yay! So, today I spent most of the time not in school walking all around the city in various places.

School was a lot better than the days before. The teacher went over the test with us, most of us did very bad. I learned and understood more today, so there is hope for me! Haha, it’all hard to remember but at least I slowly understand. Monday we’re having a re-test. Hopefully It will go better.

I had a quick breakfast, these weird fried looking things with cheese in one kind and meat in the other. Olga said the meat was kielbasa.

I took the bus to school, but got off two stops before where I usually do. I had gotten on the bus earlier so I had some time to spare. I walked around and I ended up finding an entrance to a park. As I was walking around it, I realized it’s the same park that I walk through to get to school two stops later. I took pictures of course while getting bit with mosquitoes. They are out early, even at 8 am. The park is beautiful, and I love walking through it, it’s one of my favorite parts of the city. There are lots of small parks all around with great big nice trees. It’s just soo beautiful, reminds of woods at home.

After school Michelle, Adrian, Steve and I walked to the Barista hotel, a few steps down and across the street from school. We decided to check it out, Liza says there are cute souvenir shops. So, we go in, and this hotel had everything in it. We saw signs that advertised for a dentist, a spa, a nightclub, pool. It also had a bar and restaurant and lots of nice places to sit. There were a few cute shops. I ended up buying one of those nesting dolls, the ones that you open and there are smaller ones inside! It has a Lion King pattern and that being my favorite movie I purchased it for 375 rubles! I almost bought a Harry Potter one, but I decided not to. Apparently you can find all sorts of people on these things, from the Beatles to Obama.
Steve and Michelle wanted to get something to drink, so we spent time hanging out and getting tea and coffee. That was fun! After we walked more and took a bus to the University for a little while so we could use the internet. Coming home during rush hour on busy buses when you’re walking and standing in the hot sun was not enjoyable, and Steve said he felt like a “wet noodle”.

On a side note, we’ve had some good times hanging out, the stuff people in our group say is hilarious. Last night for instance, we were walking around and I saw a couple by the river having a picnic and I was like look, they’re having a “sandwich party”. Yeah, I don’t know, it was pretty funny. We all say the darnest things.

Olga is going out to the country as she says for the weekend; she left tonight at 6:30 and won’t be back until Sunday night or Monday morning. Apparently she’s with her aunt and mother, I remember hearing that they have another house or something out there, I don’t know exactly.

Hm… so, Olga had dinner ready when I got home around 6 and then she showed me what she’s cooked for me the rest of the weekend and left directions. Right now I am home alone; Olga took Beesha and Shira with her. Dinner was cabbage roll looking things that were stuffed with rice and such. It reminded me of the filling from stuffed peppers, but stuffed cabbage instead. Last night I had told Olga I love apple pie, so she went out and bought some apple pie pastry things, they were nice with tea! Olga is great, I love her!

After dinner I was really tired from walking, my gosh, I should wear a pedometer, I am curious to see how much I really walk each day. I think all together I almost walked 5 hours believe it or not. Masha and I say we’re training for our walking tour of St. Petersburg.

Masha and her host go for “evening stroll” every night, and so I accompanied them. We walked along the river on the trade side (not the Kremlin side), in a direction that we hadn’t before. We ended up coming across a really cool statue of Alexander Nevsky ( I don’t remember why he’s important) and then a beautiful church! In front of the statue however, there were three young guys sitting and the one in the middle was playing guitar and and they were all singing. It seemed like they were in a band together and they were practicing, it sounded nice.

One thing I’ve noticed about the city. People, especially at night and by the river, are always walking, biking, swimming, roller blading, spending time together somehow. You see couples, families, young children, and many pets also! It’s soo nice to see so many families together outside enjoying themselves, It’s a great city! So beautiful, if I lived here I would do the same.

The weather today was really sunny however; my eyes were tearing up from the brightness. Tomorrow is supposed to be very sunny, no rain! It is probably in the 80s!

Ok, back to that Church I mentioned, I think it’s actually my favorite church in the city. It’s not as pretty architecturally or cosmetically speaking as other Churches in Novgorod, but for some reason the location and feel of it I really like. We walked around the Church and then in through a wooded area and wouldn’t you know it was actually the same park that I was walking in this morning! Apparently it’s pretty big and there are many ways to enter it! Again, it’s very beautiful.

From there we passed the hotel and school, and I asked Lena (Masha’s host) if we could walk to the monastery that is at the end of the street. That is also a very beautiful place, and I enjoyed the feeling there too. The trees and everything about it was just so appealing. I love the greenery and all the smells and sounds! I took soo many pictures, 258 today. In 8 days, 985 pictures total. Wow, that just sounds insane, I realize. I understand if you won’t want to sit and look at them all.
Eventually, it was getting late, 10:30! Masha and Lena and I decided we should head back home! So, now that it is 12:15 I should go to bed.

Tomorrow we are going to Staraya Rusa, a place two hours away. Located here is the home of Dostayevksi. This man was a famous Russian artist and painter. We’re getting a tour of his house and eating dinner to. After that I will be going to Masha and Lena’s house for a little bit to study, perhaps go for another walk, and then Masha is staying over at my house since Olga is away. Olga said I could have people spend the night! Fun fun… so it will be a fun filled weekend. I believe the following weekend we will all be in St. Petersburg!

Love,
Sasha


Day 7 ~ Album 2 / Day 8 ~ Album 1

Day 8 ~ Album 2 / Day 9 ~ Album 1 Photos

1 comments:

Kevi said...

First, I wanted to ask something about the bugs. You said that they are still out at 8, so that made me think of this. So, are there they really a whole lot of them?? And have you been bit up a lot while you have been there??

That is crazy that the hotel had so much stuff in it. Plus, that is really cool that you got a Lion King doll thing, I bet it looks sweet!

It is nice that people like to be outside in Russia. Seems a lot better than people over in the US who all like to stay inside all the time.

I am glad that you are getting to see so many places! I look forward to looking at all the pictures of those places to see them for myself(I have a lot of catching up to do =P).

Post a Comment