Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 35 ~ Typical workday

6. August

When I arrived in the morning the children were watching Lilo and Stitch. I was there a little before ten and one of the workers, named Alla, was taking and recording all of the children’s temperatures. This is done at least twice a day every day. I also noticed there was another lady who was checking the kids over, perhaps a nurse. I asked if someone was sick and Alla said that there was a stomach sickness going around.

Today I was surprised when Alla and Olga (another worker) took the children for a walk. I guess they do these things frequently. Anyways, the ladies wanted to go pick something up so we took about 8 kids. I came along to help hold hands and make sure the kids don’t get separated.

It can be stressful navigating the Novgorod streets with the traffic here while watching eight little kids. Anyways, our walk took us behind the Rus and Volna shopping centers and then back and down the street from the orphanage. I saw parts of the city I haven’t before and I enjoyed it. While one of the ladies went to pick up the stuff she was buying we noticed some chickens in someone’s yard. They were fenced in but that didn’t stop the children from wanting to see them. I haven’t come across anyone with farm animals in the city so it was interesting. It’s really not practical to have farm animals, but this person lived on the first floor so they didn’t have a balcony like most others do.

Along our walk I saw a sports stadium that used to house horses for racing, a car mechanics garage, and then eventually we found ourselves in some familiar territory when I realized we were walking into the Folk Center where the group and I had went our first week here. It was here that we played those silly folk games together and had tea. I love this area and was really happy when I figured out where we were. We came in from another direction so I didn’t realize where I was. Sadly I hadn’t brought the camera along, and it wouldn’t have been very practical too when I was supposed to watch kids, but I plan on going back alone and getting some pictures of some of the stuff I’ve seen.

It was a nice walk and when I returned it was time for me to have my three hour afternoon break. I really liked the walk only because it was something different and personally I preferring walking around to sitting around.

In the afternoon I spent most of the time watching Lilo and Stitch. It was Denis’ 6th birthday today so Francesca and I were given cupcake which was very nice!
In the evening I decided to go with Olga when she took Beesha for a walk. Usually when she walks him I am usually doing schoolwork but today I told her I wanted to go. Olga walks Beesha behind the building where there is lots of open space and more complexes with more housing. Beesha is quite popular.

We came across another dog, Carrie. Olga said she is Beesha’s girlfriend and for quite a while we watched them run around and play. Olga talked with the owner, a man who lives in the building next to ours. He was eager to talk to me in Russian and complemented my speaking, although it wasn’t that great. From here we walked to another building and went inside to visit what I thought was Olga’s friend. Come to find out it’s one of her relatives houses and her brother and sister in law were there also. Olga’s brother was helping remodel and putting new flooring down. I didn’t realize that Olga had relatives living so close. I had only met the sister in law once but at the time didn’t know their relations.

Olga and I spent the rest of the evening eating dinner, having tea and conversation and watching television. I was excited when I saw that Olga had cooked a porkchop and mashed potatoes for me! It was a pretty American meal and reminded me of home! During tea time Olga introduced me to a drink called Chesnok. It’s strictly a Russian thing and it’s a drink that looks like egg nog but has a very distinct taste that I can’t really compare to anything at home. It was thick and creamy and just really interesting. I tried looking it up in the dictionary but it wasn’t there. Anyways, it was good and just really interesting.

On television there was a documentary on a famous Russian Ballerina – Rudolph Nerevay. (I think I may have spelled his last name wrong). Anyways, he is very famous and well known from the 60 and 70s and maybe even later. It was an interesting program.

Again I find myself exhausted and must go to bed early!
Love,
Sasha!

1 comments:

Kevi said...

I haven't watched Lilo and Stitch in a long time. It is an alright movie, not fantastic though.

It is nice they take the kids out for a walk! It must have been stressful watching all those kids while walking around. Although, there were three of you, so that is very helpful, I couldn't imagine watching that many kids with just one person!

Wow and then you went for another walk with Olga, you lucked out that day! Haha, funny that Beesha is so popular, and he even has a girlfriend, he is cheating on Olga now =0

Well, sounds like a fun and somewhat random day!

Post a Comment