Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 26 ~ Novgorod Convent

28. July
So, that verb test was hard! I knew what the sentences meant in English and understood them but mixed up when I should use the imperfect or perfective versions of the verbs. On top of that, I forgot what some of them were. Oh well. I tried. It’s hard to memorize 24 verbs and all of their conjugations in one night. Much of the rest of the class struggled too.

In history class we talked about the foundations of Moscow! I was very interested! Mosckovia became the cities that led the process of reunification of Russia from the Mongols. It was originally a settlement for Kievan princes. It was covered with very deep forest and a great place to hunt.

The city was destroyed twice by invaders including the Mongols. Finnish tribes originally lived here and the name Moskva is a Finnish word.

Moscow was comparatively secure from attack compared to the rest of Russia. The soil however was poorer than other lands but better than the North. Population was increasing and it has always been a favorable geographical position for travel.
The first Prince of Moscow was Daniel. He was the son of Novgorodian prince Alexander Nevsky. The next prince of Moscow was Ivan the First. He was known as moneybags. Although it is not known if this is because he tried to take peoles money or if it was because he tried giving it to the poor. There is a story that he used to have money bags around his waste from which he would give to the poor. Ivan has a close relationship with the Mongols and he was the tax collector for all of the Russian principalities. Furthermore, he had control over the Church.

The next princes of Moscow were successful and positive. At the same time the Black Death was spreading from the East to West into Europe and 1/3 of the population was lost. I assume that number was total Russian population, not just in Moscow. Two of Ivan the Firsts’ sons died.

Dimitry, the grandson of Ivan, is known as a hero to Russians. He used a profitable situation to defeat the Mongols. The Mongol ruler at the time, Mamai was not from the Mongol family directly. Therefore Dimitry refused to pay tribute because he felt Mamai was an imposter since he was not a descendent of the Kahns . Mamai therefore was building up an army against Russia and included some Italians and other Russian Princes who did not like Dimitry. Moscow was surrounded by enemies but Dimitry did not wait for enemy unification. He and his army went to meet Mamai themselves. The price was wounded when Mamai attacked but when the Mongols were surrounded and pushed back into the forests the best of Dimitry’s army was waiting and they defeated the Mongols. A year later Mamai was killed by Mongols.

Dimitry had given hope back to Russia. For a century more Russia would pay tribute to the real Mongol leaders. After Dimitry’ death there was a 25 year civil war over who gets the throne and at the same time the Mongols were becoming weaker and weaker. During these 25 years Moscow did not progress much.

The next prince was Ivan the Third. He created a huge territory and reconstructed Russia into 17th century Moskva. He gave the name Roccia to the country, and therefore is known as the grandfather of Russia. Ivan married the last princess of the Constantine Empire and it is said that, there were Two Romes, and Moscow would forever be the Third Rome. The term Czar came from the Russian form of Caesar.
The last part of class we talked about current relations between Russia and America. It was very interesting. Currently Stac says there is Anti-American feel In Russia, again American policy and the State. This has been ever since the turmoil of Serbia, Kosovo, and Yugoslavia. Stac says that he and Russia think that the actions against Yugoslavia were a huge and terrible mistake. Furthermore, opinion is that America missed a chance to better relations directly after 9/11 (Putin was the first foreign leader to call President Bush after the attacks).

The sentiment for our country in Russia after the attacks was that many Russians “Sorry for Americans, not for America”. As a people Russians could identify with a history of being attacked. As a state we’re an enemy state.
Russia was not happy with our actions in Iraq only because it showed the power of American and Russia being as powerful as it is does not like America showing off it’s power.

Currently if there is a conflict it would be due to the economy and economic issues. However, Stac believes that it would be a bloodless competition and bloodless conflict.

Stas went onto to say that Russia is very wary of the gap between the real intention of the American government and the ideal of democracy and often wonders how big it is. Basically meaning that America does a lot of things in the name of Democracy and freedom but how much of America’s actions are really intended for other purposes.
Lastly, Stac mentioned his own opinions of Obama. He began by saying that Obama’s success is everything opposite of Bush. Personally he would have voted for McCain only because McCain openly and directly claims his intentions.

Obama recently visited Russia in July and recharged American and Russian relations. However, then Biden goes to Yugoslavia and another former Soviet country and “slams Russia” as Stas put it. This caused a setback in any progress that Obama had made in Moscow.
Personally during all of this I was a little lost only because I do now know the history behind Kosovo and Yugoslavia/ Bosnia/ Serbia in the early 1990s. I basically don’t know a lot about foreign relations to begin with. If you’re at all interested search on the internet, that’s what I did.

So, this class was very interesting. I was very interested to learn how Russia views America. Stac said that he was shocked when Obama won. Furthermore, despite Anti-American views I have never felt such hostilities towards myself while being in this country. Anytime I had ever talked to any Russians its’ always been a positive experience and I am usually asked what my opinion is of Obama but it’s never been hostile or unfriendly. Russians are very interested in speaking with Americans. I have heard from some of the rest of the group the same things. So, there is some interesting things for you all to think about!

After class today we went to a local convent in Novgorod. It wasn’t as pretty as the monastery in Pskov, but the atmosphere was very similar to me. I enjoyed it a lot, and again really liked the atmosphere as a whole for similar reasons to why I was attracted to the monastery. As a religious person it’s always neat to see people who devote their lives as monks and nuns do. Furthermore, the grounds were beautiful and it felt very calming and peaceful. I loved it.

The convent is known for bringing miracles to those who come and pray and it attracts a lot of visitors. In the church is the burial place of Saint Varlam.
The convent is vey old and during ancient times Ivan the terrible even came here to pray. He wanted to open the tomb of a famous saint, the founder of the convent. When he went to do this the tomb caught on fire and he knew then that it was not the right thing to do.

Also buried here in a small chapel is a very famous Russian writer and his wife.
Currently all of the nuns that live here grow their own food and sustain themselves. They sell some of their produce to earn a small amount of money.

It was a nice sunny day and the flowers here were gorgeous! Be sure and look at the pictures! There were two really cute cats here too! One of them walked right up to me as we arrived and put his front paws on my legs like he wanted attention. I picked him up and held him for a few minutes, he was so cute. Later on another cat was walking around our legs as we were getting a tour from a nun.

We toured the church on the grounds and then went out to this hill. It is said that Saint Varlam made the hill himself and on top of it is a small chapel. Many people go up and pray. It is said that if you take up intentions for anyone who needs healing, including yourself, you should say a prayer and walk around the hill three times. Apparently people have received miracles.

After walking around the grounds we walked a little ways to a small well where it is said that the cleanest water in Novgorod is located. The water is also considered holy and to have brought upon miracles. We all went to it and had a small drink and washed our faces. It did taste pretty crisp and fresh!

Also located on the grounds of the convent are the burial grounds of the parents of the current Archbishop of Novgorod. Furthermore, I saw the first cemetery in Russia here.

I have wondered a lot recently where people are buried because cemeteries seem hidden and nonexistent. Like I said, I had yet to see one before this, and even this one could be left unnoticed unless you aren’t aware it is there. I have walked a lot around the city and have yet to see any. Perhaps I need to spend more time in the country.

However, the cemetery that I saw reminded me of the cemetery that I had seen in the hometown that my father grew up in. Overall today was a great day and I loved the convent.

When I got home for dinner Olga served me some borsch! It was great. I don’t remember if I mentioned before that she makes her borsch with meat in it and other vegetables in it other than just plain beets. It can be made a variety of ways as long as it has beets in it! I still love it!

Olga and I have spent lots of time talking about my family as well as Kevin and his brothers recently. Olga said she was very thankful for my mother adopting me from Russia and bringing me to America. Personally it was the most sincere thing anyone has ever said to me. She’s so sweet. I’ve made quite an impression on her she is aware of my background and is very impressed with where I am today. I love Olga!
Tomorrow in class we’re talking about food! I am quite excited!

Love,
Sasha!

Photo Link : Day 26 ~ Novgorod Convent

1 comments:

Kevi said...

That is some more interesting facts about Russia!

I really like hearing Stac's opinion of America. Nothing that he said really surprises me. America does do a lot of stupid things in "the name of democracy," plus America and Russia really don't like either party doing something to show off their power, probably since the Cold War. For instance, while you have been there, Russian subs were found offshore from Georgia and that caused a big stir for a day or two. Yeah, but anyways, it is always interesting to hear people's perspective from outside the US!

I'm glad you enjoyed the monastery! That is cool they grow all their own food! That is a lot healthier and just all around better.

I wonder why that water is considered the cleanest?? That is cool though! Haha, and I still think it is funny you got the water out with that dirty old bucket =X

Ohh so you were talking about me again =0. That is cool. I have said this a lot, but I am so happy you got paired up with Olga for this, she sounds so sweet :)

Post a Comment